If I Could Only…
Posted April 17, 2017on:
Last week I didn’t quite fulfill my initial goal I’d set for myself. To recap, this is what I set for myself:
So, at least for this week (the nice thing about goals is that they can be adjusted), I have ONE goal:
Make a list of ten things I dream of doing and prioritize them by how much I want them, how long they will take to achieve and what steps I will need to follow to meet each one. And one caveat here… no “pay bills” goals here.
We’ll see where that gets me (What Am I Doing? 4/3/17)
Last week, I bemoaned the fact that Shiny was more than just an adjective but also a state of mind as I tried to describe the cause of my failure. I can’t say I am better off now. The ‘new and shiny’ is still demanding more of me than I suspected. I knew it would be hard to narrow down the list, but… yeesh.
Still, I think I have come up with something that works as a decent starting point. Ten things I dream of doing and how I intend to get there… and after that, new goal: to take dream from the list and start working on achieving it.
- I want to do something that will help others without causing hassles for the people I love. This may seem like an odd thing for a dream. It’s clearly not a S.M.A.R.T. goal. It’s vague, has no defined times, and… attainable and specific ran right off the cliff here. But this is who I am. I like to help, to do things that make peoples’ lives easier… and I get into all sorts of fluff because of it. Starting now, I want to figure out better ways to help without also becoming a problem. Sometimes it will mean saying “No” more. I bet sometimes I will have to say “Yes” more too. This is not something that can be given a one-size-fits-all-(or even most) solution, but… I can dream, can’t I?
The storyworld that exists in my head needs to be realized in more than one ‘permanent’ format. I don’t want to just work on the writing—I need to get through that part, but I also want to develop the skills to also give it form in other expressions, preferably drawing or painting since I have at least half a chance of achieving it there. I would like to someday make an animation of some of the stories, but that’s not as high a priority as more basic art. To that goal, I need to dedicate more time to drawing and trying out how to use other artistic media. I may start joining some of the Boodle’s art classes, as they’ve been wonderful for helping him learn how to use the different tools to achieve his artistic visions.
- I want to travel because, while the internet has made the world much more accessible, there is a limit to the depth of experience one can garner from 360°images, webinars, and descriptive text passages. This is a dream in some ways… my husband is very much a home-body. It is also a goal that I can meet in limited forms. Next week I will be on an airplane, heading across The Pond with the Boodle to spend a few weeks exploring England and meeting some fellow writers.
- I dream about living in one of those homes that is part retreat, part library, part museum and antique shop. Sometimes this dream wobbles a bit and I actually am living in an antique shop, one that specializes in old books. Sometimes the dream involves running a Bed & Breakfast that would have some of these elements. Clearly I need to refine this a lot more…
- Sharing things that I find beautiful with others brings me exponential happiness… I need, in a visceral way, to do this. Since art and beauty are subjective, this isn’t always as easy as I would like, but generally, I have good luck with this. I just want to keep doing it…. and maybe increase my ‘out-reach’.
- I know I am not taking the best care of my body that I can at the moment (as much as it likes to remind me of that fact, I am not giving up my green tea lattes from Starbuck’s though). So I have other dreams/goals involving fitness and health… one of them is to run again and do another 5K race, running the thing this time. Why? Because I had a dear friend, almost a brother, who loved to run in 5 & 10K races, and he died before we could run together.
- I’m putting this a bit further down the list because… really it’s not up to me, so to speak—it is his life, and he will make these decisions on his own—, but I really want to be able to help my son discover what gives him joy and a sense of fulfillment.
- In little things as well as big things, I want to keep a sense of wonder.
- I dream of worlds where contact between two people meeting is not abrasive, but soothing. I want people to be comforted by my presence, and to be comfortable in theirs… I’d like to find my ‘tribe’.
- If we’re talking dreams… I dream about helping grow our local homeschooling community center into a more self-sustaining resource that involves the community at large in some ways. I know what I would do if I suddenly had a lot of money… or the skills to help operate such a place.
There it is… I suspect this list isn’t The List. It just is The List For Now. Seems to me, this is a process that I would benefit from participating in regularly. So… to Round 2 for this goal, and onto the goals for the rest of this round, starting with the new goal of ‘the week’.
A Sense of Wonder
Why? Because it’s the goal I am in the best position to work on now and it opens so many of the other goals.